Tuesday, April 28, 2009

NHS Priorites

I have been on the receiving end of rather a lot of generous NHS these last seven months. An operation, radiotherapy and chemotherapy, countless visits to the doctor and now weekly visits to a centre - where I get a free lunch!

But it has not been enough. I have been told that the last chemotherapy was working. I am back where I was when it was diagnosed. Now there are new forms of chemotherapy, not yet approved, which may be approved in the next year or so. May be too late for me. May not work for me anyway. I could fund the treatment myself and it could be a complete waste of money.

Yesterday, there were scaremongering stories about cuts in NHS funding. I can't believe they would start charging for what is free now. But it is must be tricky in deciding what gets funding. And who gets funding. I happen to believe that a 38 year old, such as my dear self, with two children deserves all, but then, as Mandy Rice Davies said "he would say that, wouldn't he".

Can we carry on funding treatment via the (in my case) NHS?

Anyway, roll on Friday... NHS treatment, new (to me) form of chemotherapy, and I don't pay a penny. Meanwhile, there are those who can't get the treatment they want - who go without, or pay.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

The NHS is a long way from being free, Sam. I just look at my pay cheque each month and see the taxes and NI. We pay through the nose for it and deserve all the treatments we get!

SBS said...

Point taken. But that's another debate...

Nick said...

The NHS - like every other health insurance scheme - has to take decisions on what is cost effective and what isn't. Resources are finite, despite what people sometimes imagine.

That means that new treatments have to be proven in trials before they are made generally available. Otherwise every snake oil salesman in the land would be offering expensive but useless treatments and expecting the taxpayer to buy them.

Of course effective treatments should be made available provided they come at a fair price - and they should be made available to all who might benefit. I don't advocate doctors deciding which patients are the most deserving.